Thursday 30 June 2011

Das Bierbrot

Whenever I see a recipe involving water, I always wonder what would be the result of substituting beer. As I make my own bread with this "just add water" flour mix, I thought I'd give "beer bread" a shout.


I chose Kostritzer because I wanted something dark, but as this was an experiment I didn't want to risk anything expensive that I actually liked. Normally I'd add about 375ml of water but I went for a 500ml bottle of beer to start with.
Add the beer to the flour...

Mix well...


Leave the mixture to set for 45 minutes and you get this unappetising looking goo...


Bake for 30 minutes and Voila...


Notes to self:
  1. Beer bread needs less time in the oven or it gets burnt.
  2. The extra liquid gives it a very moist texture, but makes it not really suitable for slicing.
Next time I'll use a 330ml bottle of beer and see what results I get then.
The bread was suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper yummy... cor blimey you can feed like, four geezers with that, can't you not never like.

No comments:

Post a Comment