Saturday 28 May 2011

Cologne

The Rhine has deposited me on the shores of its most famous son...


Apparently there's some Cathedral or other here...


But that's not what I'm here for: I'm on a beer pilgrimage to save the world. Peter's Brauhaus looked like a promising place to start...


These fellas are called "Kobes", or "Jacks", and keep your glass efficiently replenished with handy circular beer containers...


It's the style here to drink out of 20cl glasses. Luckily you're never waiting long to get your next round though.


The beer unfortunately didn't have much to recommend it. The top fermenting yeast was missing in action, having been cold fermented and lagered out of the building. Peter: remember your yeast's heritage.

Gaffel is one I like from the bottle, so it's time to check it out on home territory...


Like many of the big Bamberg brewpubs, there's a vast choice of rooms, each serving a different purpose: standing, sitting, eating, drinking, inside, outside, up, down, flying around.
Keep them coming Jack.


The beer here is much more how a Kolsch should be, with big fruity flavours.


Last stop before moving on to Dusseldorf was Fruh...


This place is like a rabbit warren inside; you could set an Agatha Christie in there. At 10am it's going strong already. I really like the lack of self-righteous puritanism in Germany that Britain is afflicted with. You can be having a beer any time of the morning and nobody would dream of batting an eyelid.


I think Bavaria is the only part of Germany where they don't count how many beers you've had by putting marks on your beer mat; at least I've yet to see it there, but it's done throughout northern Germany as far as I can tell. Fruh is another decent one; if I lived here I would definitely get out to the pubs much more than I do in Munich.

No comments:

Post a Comment