Monday 30 May 2011

Düsseldorf

My image of this town was of a fairly unattractive industrial city, but it's not really like that. The Altstadt, although much of it is far from alt, reminded me a tiny bit of Amsterdam without the canals, and you can meander from bar to bar without walking more than a few yards at a time. The "big four" were top of my list though.
First up was Schlüssel...

Inside it's the usual maze of different rooms. The beer tasted better than I remembered it in the bottle.


Uerige is maybe the most well known...


Their dopplesticke which I once found on Bierkompass was one of the best beers I've ever tasted, but their standard Alt I didn't find to be as good as the other three when I tried them in bottles. Here it was the same. Nice place inside though.


The river front's had a lot of work done, lots of bars and cafes with much greenery on the opposite bank.


Observing what people were drinking, both Pils and Weiss tended to be more numerous than the dark Alts that the town is famous for.
You can't escape the rivalry even when choosing mustard...


Füchsen was one of my favourites in bottles...


And it was my favourite from the barrel as well. Well done that fox. Inside, the rooms have a more modern feeling than the others.

Schumacher had to wait till 10am the next morning. It's not in the central Altstadt unlike the others.


Nutty, chewy even...


Thus concluded my pilgrimage. As you probably heard, the world did not end. How much that was due to my pilgrimage we'll probably never know, but either way I did not receive a hero's welcome when I arrived back in Munich. Instead, the air conditioning didn't work on the leg from Stuttgart, so I had to drink warm Weissbier.

No comments:

Post a Comment